The village of Soverato Vecchia. Courtesy: the municipality of Soverato Vecchia.
The archaeological site of Soverato Vecchia is particularly evocative: steeped in silence, surrounded by hills, facing the sea. The village of Suberatum, which tradition reports with the name of “Suvaratu u Vecchiu”, stands on a hill about 1300 meters from the coastline. The highest point of the town is marked by the church of Santa Caterina d’Alessandria, located close to the boundary wall on the northern edge. A single nave is also the church Matrice, which retains almost intact the southern side supported by a barbican as a support of reinforcement.
The residential nucleus was abandoned following the earthquake of 1783: walking up its steep climbs you can admire the vestiges of a past shrouded in uncertainty. Few are the fragments of life that have come down to us: the stones and materials that make up buildings now evanescent and partly destroyed, but which retain the ability to tell centuries of history, life, work, and disasters speak for themselves.